Search This Blog

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Inspired by Others

I created Lifestyles By Leslie as a blog to inspire others, but in recent weeks I've found myself pushed by others to reach my full potential.  Just when I think I have a few tools under my belt, people show me what they are made of:




A Teacher’s Awards Ceremony


I’m a Sr. Account Manager for Kaiser Permanente and I work on the Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) account.  MCPS and Kaiser are partnered for the MCPS On the Move competition. 131 elementary schools registered over 3,500 teachers to compete, get healthier and win prizes for their efforts on an individual, team and school level.  Phase I of the competition focused on fitness and it ended last night with an awards ceremony.  The teachers tracked enough minutes of exercise to go to the moon and back!!!  Phase II begins in March, focused on nutrition.  Yours truly will be writing the MCPS On the Move Blog which I’m pretty excited about!

Dominique Dawes was the keynote speaker for the awards ceremony.  I met Dominique in 1998 at the US National Gymnastics Championship in Indianapolis.  I was there for a team coaches training and Dominique came to the coaches reception afterwards for pictures. 




Today, Dominique is a grown woman – well spoken, energetic and insightful.  She inspired over 200 teachers last night by telling them funny stories to keep their momentum going as they enter phase II of the competition.  She echoed my saying that healthy is a lifestyle or as she said put it, “wellness is journey, not a destination.”  At the end of the ceremony, I found myself feeling like I’m not doing enough!  I left with an autographed picture and a new perspective – get clear on your intention and your goals in order to make big or small changes in your life - even though that is what my first two posts were all about, for me included, it's a daily struggle to keep on track towards those achievements.  Life gets busy!  We are human - if we do not have some kind of coach (wife/husband, friend, family, co-worker) we lose momentum at times.  Look at that, I struggle with the same road blocks as you!  At the end of each day , check in and ask yourself, “Did I do something small today to move towards my goals?” 


A Yoga Certification
In December, I “sort of” set the intension to get my 200-level yoga certification by the end of 2011.  The program is 8 months long and I found myself thinking, “Eight months is a long time…I don’t know if I want that commitment. Can I afford it?” Then, I had to laugh at these doubts because my nutrition certification was over a year long, in the uber-expensive town of NYC, with weekend travel to boot.  I’ve wanted to get a yoga certification and expand my pratice since 2008 ---  it’s about time I just do it!  I am still working out how to pay the monthly cost, but I am putting my intension out there that I will find a way.  Isn’t that what life is all about anyway?  Find a way to reach your goals through faith, hope and love. 

My intensions for Winter & Spring 2011:
  • I will offer a vision board workshop this winter
  • Continue enjoying my nutrition clients as they change their relationships with food
  • I plan to create a fun, simple detox cleanse, available via phone and email support
  • I will continue to inspire people through guilt-free, self care
  • With the help of a good friend, I will continue searching for the perfect venue to create a wellness conference in DC/MD.
Life is too short; do what you are meant to do.  If you don’t know what you are meant to do, brainstorm or get together with a health coach like myself:  http://www.leslieedsall.com

Comment and tell me about your goals.  Keep reaching towards your dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment